It’s been a busy year for the Internal Revenue Service. More than 136 million federal tax returns have been filed so far in 2021, with over $254 billion in refunds processed, despite the problems caused by the shutdowns and additional legislation generated by the pandemic.
The service shared a number of additional stats at a recent update meeting with stakeholders, according to Stephen Mankowski, the tax chair at the National Conference of CPA Practitioners, including:
- 94% of refund returns were filed electronically, with 92% direct deposit.
- The IRS answered 9.9 million calls, with the month of March at times experiencing 1,500 calls per second.
- A thousand IRS employees will be added by summer.
- Advance child tax credits will begin to be sent out by July 15, 2021.
- Nationwide Tax Forums will begin — virtually — on July 20, 2021.
- New applications for FIRE (Filing Information Returns Electronically) will be available in September.
Officials at the meeting…