SCAMMERS ARE PREYING ON OUR REGION. HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
Each year, scammers take deceitful and aggressive measures to target our customers. They are even taking advantage of the heightened stress caused by the pandemic to demand financial and personal information in addition to threatening to shut off power.
Here are a few tips to help you spot a potential scam and what you can do to make sure you and your family don’t fall victim to these schemes.
- Pose as a City Light employee and contact you by phone.
- Threaten to shut off power if a payment is not made immediately.
- Pressure you to obtain pre-paid credit cards or third-party digital apps to make immediate payments.
- Target businesses, customers with limited English proficiency, and elderly customers.
- Use phone numbers closely resembling a City Light or City of Seattle number.
Remember, we will never call, e-mail, or visit your home demanding immediate…